I’m always a little wary of copycat recipes.
But this one is quite good!!
Degree of Difficulty: Medium
Time Frame: 1 hour 45 minutes
2 pounds ground beef
2 cups chopped onions
4 cups beef stock
2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
2 -3 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 ounce grated unsweetened chocolate or 2 3/4 tablespoons cocoa
2 teaspoons instant minced garlic
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper or 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 bay leaves or 1/8 teaspoon bay leaf powder
finely shredded cheddar cheese
Brown ground beef and onion. Drain.
Add beef stock to beef mixture and simmer 10 minutes.
Add remaining 13 ingredients, simmer uncovered 1 hour.
Remove bay leaf, skim off extra fat.
Serve over hot spaghetti, or hot dogs in buns for chili dogs.
Top with plenty of cheese and onions.
Suggestions and Comments:
- Husbands love this dish. Just sayin’.
- You will be stinky afterwards. I won’t go into details.
- All the spices are needed, don’t leave any out. Each contribute to the unique flavor of Cincinnati!
- If you serve it over spaghetti, as we do, you will need a pound of spaghetti.
- This meal serves our family of four with a few leftovers.