Yep. That’s a mouthful. But don’t let the name intimidate you!
Level of Difficulty: Medium
Time Frame: 45-55 minutes
2 whole red bell peppers
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup fat free half & half
4 oz. garlic & herb goat cheese
2/3 cup grated parmigiano reggiano cheese
1/2 lb. linguine, cooked to al dente
salt & pepper, to taste
1/2 cup artichoke hearts, cooked (optional)
Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Place red peppers on baking sheet and bake 20-30 minutes until peppers are charred. Remove from oven and cover with foil 10 minutes.
In the mean time, saute onions and garlic in olive oil 7 minutes or until tender. Pour in half & half, goat cheese, salt & pepper. Stir to melt goat cheese into sauce and keep warm over low heat.
Uncover peppers, peel off skin and remove stem and seeds. Chop into large pieces and place into sauce along with Parmesan cheese. (If you are adding in hearts, add here.) Stir to melt cheese and remove from heat.
Pour sauce into food processor (or blender) and puree.
Place back into hot pan and toss with cooked pasta. Taste and adjust seasonings. Top with more Parmesan cheese, pepper, salt and parsley, if desired.
Suggestions and Comments:
- Though the original recipe calls for 2 red bell peppers, I have only used one each time I’ve made this. I feel that two might be overpowering…and red.
- Goat cheese isn’t cheap, just FYI.
- If using parsley, fresh is the best.
- I’ve never tried it with the artichoke hearts, mainly because I keep forgetting, but if you like them, I can see how it would enhance the flavor.
- Don’t use “fat free” anything. Please. It’s all a myth. :)